advertentie Le Vin du Bâché reclame

205 GTI Fore16ver

Moderator: P-unit

cybernck
Contacteer:

Re: 205 GTI Fore16ver

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 6: Winter sleep

With the weather turning for worse, the last thing I set out to do was removing the engine
block and gearbox to have the engine bay ready for better inspection.

Afbeelding Afbeelding

With the only help being provided by two small hydraulic jacks, fighting the lack of space,
adverse weather conditions and unpleasant neighbors, I manage to successfully pull it all out.

This is the point where the front crumpling zone ends (and how far back will the chassis have to be
cut off and replaced), with the rest of the impact having been absorbed by the roof and the floor.

Afbeelding Afbeelding

Everything packed up tightly and ready for winter sleep.

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=3
205tunerke
Pug Driver

Bericht door 205tunerke »

that is a verry large peace you'll have to replace...
not just an easy fix
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

I will not only have to replace a part of the chassis, but also get the shell straightened up.
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 7: Awakening

Most of the 2013 went by without having anything done on the car, purely because I couldn't find
anyone to take on the work of fixing the chassis and rust patches. However, near the end of the year,
it was time to continue the restoration work.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

All the rear bumpet bolts were rusted up solid, as expected.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

Stripping off the remaining bits in the engine compartment and also the interior.
Only God knows how will I put it all back together!

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

To be continued...

Laatst gewijzigd door cybernck op ma 10 feb 2014, 23:13, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Darl'mat
Pug Driver
Contacteer:

Bericht door Darl'mat »

Nice Rims 8)
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Yes, but they're on temporarily, as far as this car is concerned :).
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 8: One Horse Power

During my hunt for parts, I managed to find just what I need - NOS replacement headlight panels!
I've also finally managed to acquire an "auto bonnet" - i.e. a bonnet off of a 205 Automatic.
It's not in the best shape, but it's crucial for my vision of this car :-).

Afbeelding Afbeelding

Anyway, the second day of dismantling was mostly easy work. The front wings are reusable, but I'm
on a look-out for a pair of new ones - which are proving very difficult to get hold of now-days.

Afbeelding Afbeelding

The front part of the floor pan would have been perfect, if it wasn't for a crack from the known crash,
while the culprit for the damage in the rear part were the holes in the tailgate and LPG installation.
There's just a small usual rusty patch under the rear seats.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

Awaiting pickup, to be transferred to the bodyshop.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

jurgen_s
Pug Driver

Bericht door jurgen_s »

the headlight panels: always rusted :roll:
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 9: Cut

The car arrived at the body shop and it was time to finally start going in the direction of having a rust-free 205 shell.

Afbeelding

The chassis had been pulled back to OEM specification, doors put back on using larger pins and body panel gaps set. Then the crash-damaged rotten corner section was cut off.

Afbeelding

Out with the cancer!

Afbeelding

Next up, the replacement part I had sourced earlier had to be trimmed and a good inner wing panel fitted back on the car, along with the brand new headlamp panels.

Afbeelding

To be continued...

cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 10: Paste

Ta-daa! Inner wheel arch welded on, as well as the new headlamp panels. Looks infinitely better
than the old mix of filler and rotten metal! Pretty seamless transition of the car's chassis and
the new part - it will look as new when it sees some paint.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

The other side has seen some grinder action too. Another culprit and often overlooked area is
the bottom of the A-post.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

The fuel tank has been dropped and the floor cleaned up with the boot floor section left to sort out.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

Meanwhile, I decided to take a look at my very low mileage XU9J4Z 405 Mi16 engine I bought back in 2007,
that has been removed out of an 405 Mi16x4, crashed 10 years earlier, in 1997, with only 35 thousand
kilometers on the clock!

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

To be continued...

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=4
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 11: Solid foundation

Back at the panel beater's, the car has had most of the major body work done. Facial reconstruction
surgery complete. The red arrows are there to sway your attention towards removable lower section,
for ease of maneuvering the engine in at a later date.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

The Automatic bonnet has seen better days, but I'm very happy to see it on the car none-the-less!
Some crude work has been done on the exterior too. The doors are rather rippled, but it will all be
sorted out, when the time comes. The hole in the floor patched, along with a few more in the front arches.

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

The car stayed at the bodyshop for some finishing touches while I was on a tour around Bosnia,
filling the car up with various 205 parts, including another (and hopefully better) Auto bonnet!

Afbeelding

Also, I dug these wheels out, that I had purchased a while ago, with an intention of making
a transportation device for a bare 205 shell, heavy parts such as engines and apparently
cyclists too :-).

AfbeeldingAfbeelding

On the last day of 2013, I got the car back, fully rust-free and ready to go to the painters.
I've even had to rent out yet another garage, as the old one got filled with all sorts of parts
in the mean time!

Afbeelding

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=5
205tunerke
Pug Driver

Bericht door 205tunerke »

Impressive build
PUG(z)OT
Pug Driver
Contacteer:

Bericht door PUG(z)OT »

idd, this is one lucky 205 :Y
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 12: 205. Un sacré numéro.

After a "Winter sleep", in May of 2014 I finally managed to find a bodyshop that has agreed
to do a bare-shell respray of the 205, so it was time to get it out of the garage and do
some more parts stripping and then finally make a move forwards, in every sense :-).

Afbeelding Afbeelding

Only being satisfied with the best results, I decided (and managed) to get new replacement
front wings. Pattern parts, but the ones on the car were also not OE parts plus they have
been a bit rusty as well.

Afbeelding

Meanwhile, in one of my other hobbies (cycling, if you are not already aware of it),
I randomly got my favourite number for a starting number in an international race :-D.

Afbeelding

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=6
cybernck
Contacteer:

Bericht door cybernck »

Episode 13: Let there be paint!

Meanwhile, at the paintshop - the car finally sees some fresh Miami Blue paint! Yay!

Afbeelding Afbeelding Afbeelding

The whole floorpan has been coated in stonechip and then resprayed in body colour.
Although I'm not really going to go off road with the car, it's nice to have some,
err, protection ;).

Also, not being satisfied with the two Automatic bonnets I've had previously acquired,
a friend has found me the best one yet! Sweet!

Afbeelding

And here's the 4th engine presented in this story so far - rare and iconic XU10J4TE
a.k.a. 220 bhp 405 T16 engine. Although it would have been amazing to have this beast
fitted under the bonnet, it was missing a few things and would have made my project
even longer and more complicated, therefore I decided to let someone else enjoy it! :(

Afbeelding Afbeelding

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=6
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “20x”